Tex-Mex often coins a bad rap for being a “weekend indulgence” with many unwanted calories — I know I have had my fair share of queso and enchiladas + margaritas (do skinny margs count?) etc.; whether it’s a large group Friday night dinner or a Sunday evening Mexican family feast… I always end up feeling light as a feather afterward… NOT. Well, today’s recipe actually will leave you feeling pretty light…. the “stand up” corn taco shells only have about 130 calories and with ground turkey, lightened up toppings and healthy sides, this dinner will leave you satisfied without the guilt on any busy week night or when having guests over. I had enough leftover pico de gallo to add to a salad the next day, and the black bean dip will stay fresh for up to 3 days in the fridge. You’ll have a skinny fiesta in 30 minutes or less! Ole!
Pico de Gallo
- Having different sized glass prep bowls really comes in handy for this dinner. | I purchased this set from Williams-Sonoma. | I also love my new tomato chopping tool… great for caprese salad, sandwiches and dips (works for onions too).
- Either by hand in a small bowl or in a food processor combine all of the following:
- 2 medium chopped tomatoes
- 1 seeded and diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup of diced onions
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- juice of two limes
- salt & pepper
- mix and serve chilled
Black Bean Dip
- In a food processor combine the following:
- 1 can black beans
- 1 small can Rotel
- 3 green onion sprigs chopped
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno juice (from a can of sliced jalapenos)
- 3 slices jalapeno
- juice of 1 lime
- Serve cold as a side or dip with tortilla chips, Fritos, or veggie sticks.
Skinny Turkey Tacos – makes 6
- In a skillet or pan on the stove over medium high heat brown 1 lb ground lean turkey; once cooked and there is no pink left add a packet of taco seasoning and two tablespoons of water; leave on stove on low heat until ready to serve.
- Place desired amount of taco shells on a baking sheet at 350 for 6 minutes (optional).
- Build your tacos – trying using the Old El Paso, “Stand Up Shells”, the tacos will rest nicely on the plate and not flop over! I used in this order… ground turkey, shredded iceberg lettuce, reduced-fat Mexican style shredded cheese, light sour cream topped with paprika and garnished with cilantro. It went perfectly with the pico de gallo and black bean dip, and I highly recommend this meal (kid friendly too)! — Also, you can make a large taco salad and skip using the shell.