My Jalapeño Cheese Grits Soufflé is sure to please any crowd or go as a delicious side dish to any occasion — Sunday brunch, a last minute dinner along side grilled chicken or steaks, the perfect accompaniment to a fried chicken supper, football party or at a backyard bbq. This particular cheese grits recipe will cut almost like a quiche, and I like to serve it by cutting it into small squares with a pie knife. Having attended college in South Carolina, grits are a personal favorite of mine — they have some of the best shrimp and grits, and I promise to post a recipe on a classic Charleston low country shrimp & grits in the near future. This recipe features cheddar as the cheese for the soufflé, however, feel free to replace that with any soft or slightly hard cheese — i.e. gouda, goat cheese, cream cheese, Old English cheddar (in a jar, and melts well), bleu cheese… etc.
This soufflé will transport well, and it is perfectly fine to serve this piping hot or at room temperature. Just keep it tightly covered in foil before serving. Feel free to omit the jalapeños if you can’t handle the spice. Adding in cooked ham, bacon or sausage would also work well and make a great breakfast dish.
To purchase my “Vietri Incanto Lace” small square baking dish – click here.
Jalapeño Cheese Grits Soufflé
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup quick cook grits
- 2 eggs
- 1 jar/can of sliced jalapeños (don’t buy fresh as you will need the juice)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño juice
- non-stick cooking spray
- preheat your oven to 375
- bring 4 cups of water to a boil with 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1 cup quick cook grits and bring back up to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes uncovered
- if your grits start bubbling out of control remove the pot from the stove and stir rapidly and reduce your heat…. constantly stir so the grits don’t burn on the bottom – these will cook within 5 minutes or less
- in a small bowl beat 2 eggs with salt and pepper and stir in 1 tablespoon jalapeño juice and add 8-10 chopped jalapeños
- spray non-stick cooking spray in a square baking dish and add the cooked grits, egg and jalapeño mixture, and stir
- fold in 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, and stir in two tablespoons of butter
- bake at 375 for 45 minutes