I think everyone in Texas is a little frustrated with weather, but what’s new! The temperature fell slightly below 80 this week, so I figured it was finally time to make a batch of homemade (semi-homemade) chili. A really delicious batch of chili doesn’t have to take 3 hours to make, and if you try this recipe I promise you will have a bowl of bold and flavorful chili in 30 minutes. No chopping, no crying from dicing onions — yes, this recipe is a 3-step no brainer using a jar of pre-made natural ingredient goodness filled with fresh herbs, vegetables and a unique blend of spices that I sampled at Central Market this week. I believe most HEB grocery stores are now carrying it, so hurry out and grab a jar of Cookwell & Company Two-Step Chili Mix (my recipe is 3-step because I added a can of yellow corn). You simply brown 2 lbs of ground turkey, add the jar of chili mix, a can of corn, and simmer covered for 30 minutes —> pretty sure a six year old could make this – so no excuses! On a lazy Saturday or Sunday I would love to make a batch from scratch, but the work week is busy, and this makes enough to have extra on hand for a quick lunch the next day or store in the freezer for later. Turkey chili is also super low-carb and perfect for a filling meal without the guilt. Now… it does depend what you sprinkle on top! I chose reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese, low-fat sour cream sprinkled with paprika, diced green onion, avocado with lemon juice (to keep it from browning)… and of course some Fritos. You could also add beans of any kind to this, sub the turkey for ground beef, chicken, or venison, or make it vegetarian with the addition of more vegetables. Chili is the perfect football party dish, and a do it yourself chili bar makes a pretty presentation. Hoping the weather cools off a bit more for my next batch!
3-Step Turkey Chili
- 1 jar of Cookwell & Company Two-Step Chili Mix (sold in HEB stores, click here to purchase)
- 2 lbs of lean ground turkey (I bought 2 packages of 1 pound lean ground turkey)
- 1 can of whole yellow kernel corn
- optional toppings: reduced-fat cheddar cheese, low-fat sour cream, chopped green onion, diced avocado, paprika, Fritos, tortilla chips, saltines, jalapeños – etc.
- brown ground turkey and drain excess liquid
- add the jar of chili mix
- stir and fold in the can of corn
- cover and simmer for 30 minutes
- serve warm with chili toppings